Monday, September 9, 2013

This Thing Called Fitness

How many times have you seen a professional athlete, body builder, CrossFit games competitor (in my case) achieve something and think "HOLY SH*T! I could never do that" ? How many times have you heard a trainer, coach, fitness expert, nutritionist talk about getting in shape and staying fit and think "yeah that's easy for you to say" ?

Every single one of us are guilty of this at some point or another. Even those athletes, trainers, and experts that are giving the advice thought the same thing when they started their fitness journey. I still hear my CrossFit coach talk about competitors using adjectives like "inhuman", "unbelievable", "impossible". So if this is really the case and these people we look up to have some sort of super human power that we could never hope to possess then why in the world would anyone aim to be them? Why are we even bothering? I'll let you in on a little secret...

There is no super power. They are all human too. The people whose fitness we envy all started out just like you and me. The key is turning that envy into inspiration. That doesn't just mean telling yourself you can do something it means really actually believing it; finding that inner strength to truly push yourself past every single breaking point or limit you thought existed and watching your body fail one day to see it be better the next. It means accepting that this may be the hardest thing you do in your life, facing that fear of change that is instilled in every one of us and grabbing the bull by it's horns... But let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Really, to begin with, that means going from a point of contemplation to a point of action.

In beginning my 6th month of CrossFit, I decided that it was time make the move from just Instagram-ing my fitness journey to putting it in writing, in black and white where people can see it, question it, judge it, and hopefully take something from it. The goal of this blog is to share with you how I went from the envious, self-loathing, hot&cold exerciser who tried to wish herself into better shape to the motivated CrossFit obsessed woman I am now. I will not pretend to be perfect or know everything but I WILL use the knowledge I've acquired so far, and am continuing to gain every day, along with my own progress and results in hopes to light a spark or help things click for at least one person.

This is the fitness journey of a real person written for real people...



No comments:

Post a Comment